ualifications recognition

Högskoleverket (Swedish National Agency for Higher Education) is the public agency responsible for recognising qualifications from abroad.

The purpose of this recognition process is to make it possible for individuals to use qualifications from other education systems without losing the real value of these qualifications. The Department of Qualifications Recognition conducts this work and any applications or enquiries should be addressed to this department.

To the Department of Qualifications Recognition »

Recognition of study programmes

The main purpose of this recognition process is to facilitate entry into employment. If individuals have completed a higher education programme in a country other than Sweden that has lasted a minimum of two years at undergraduate level or one year at postgraduate level, he/she may ask the Swedish National Agency for Higher Education to assess the qualification awarded.
More information:


Recognition of prior studies

Individuals who have completed courses or study programmes that have lasted less than two years at undergraduate level or one year at postgraduate level and wish to have these recognised in order to continue studying in Sweden, should contact the study adviser at the higher education institution they wish to attend.


Regulated professions

The right of professionals to work in a regulated profession in Member States of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway is regulated by Directive 2005/36/EC. Individuals qualified for a profession in another country who would like to pursue the profession in Sweden, should apply to the relevant competent authority.

More information:

Are you a teacher?

1 July 2011 saw the introduction of a system of teacher registration for teachers and preschool teachers in Sweden. Skolverket (Swedish National Agency for Education) has replaced Högskoleverket (Swedish National Agency for Higher Education) as the competent authority for the teaching profession. Högskoleverket will no longer accept applications for Behörighetsbevis (qualified teacher status (QTS) certification). Högskoleverket is still tasked with assessing the applications for Behörighetsbevis (QTS certification) that it received before 1 July 2011.

If you have received a decision from Högskoleverket that asks for supplementary qualifications, you should apply for teacher registration from Skolverket after completing the necessary supplement(s).
More information about teacher registration is available on the website of Skolverket. www.skolverket.se

Last updated: 2013-01-31
Contact: Marie Lundberg, Email: firstname.lastname@hsv.se