Applying for recognition of study programmes
Individuals may apply to Högskoleverket (Swedish National Agency for Higher Education) for a higher education study programme from abroad that has lasted a minimum of two years at undergraduate level or one year at postgraduate level to be recognised. This service is intended only for individuals seeking employment in Sweden. Individuals who want their prior studies to be accredited for further study in Sweden must contact the higher education institutions where they would like to study.
To apply for a study programme to be recognised for employment purposes, an applicant must fill in an application form. This can be ordered by telephone: +46 (0)8 563 085 52 or by sending an email to: email@example.com. The form can also be downloaded here:
To the application form (pdf, new window) »
Download the form to your own computer. Then you can fill it in and print out the completed version.
Attested copies of the following documents must be enclosed with the application form:
- University certificate or diploma in the original language,
- An authorised translation of the diploma or certificate into Swedish or English if the original certificate or diploma is written in a language other than Swedish, English, Danish, Finnish, French, German, Norwegian or Spanish,
- An official transcript of all completed courses in the original language,
- An authorised translation of the official transcript into Swedish or English if the original certificate or diploma is written in a language other than Swedish, English, Danish, Finnish, French, German, Norwegian or Spanish,
- Personbevis (proof of identity) from Skatteverket (Swedish Tax Agency) indicating citizenship and any change to the name stated on the certificate or diploma,
- If an applicant is unable to produce a personbevis a copy of the passport and proof of application for a residence permit must be submitted if the applicant is not from an EU Member State, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. The passport pages copied must include the applicant´s name and passport number.
If possible, the following documents should be enclosed:
- Final grades from secondary school,
- Details from the higher education institution abroad, for example, university or college prospectus, programme specification, abstract of dissertation or summary of degree project. These may be submitted in the original language although applicants may be asked to submit a translation,
- Proof of professional experience, membership of professional bodies etc.