Startpage for Swedish National Agency for Higher Education

Please note! The Swedish National Agency for Higher Education was closed down on 31 December 2012. Instead two new agencies have been established: the Swedish Council for Higher Education and the Swedish Higher Education Authority. This website will continue to operate as the new agencies will have links to information it contains.  

Recognition of prior studies

If a student has completed a higher education study programme that lasted less than two years at undergraduate level or one year at postgraduate level or any self-contained courses at a higher education institution in another country and wishes to have these studies recognised in order to continue studying in Sweden, they should contact the study adviser at the higher education institution (HEI) they would like to attend.

It is up to the individual HEI to decide how these course and short programmes should be accredited for further study. If students have completed a Bachelor´s degree and wish to continue studying in Sweden at Master´s level, they should also approach the HEI directly.


The information required by the HEIs may vary and individuals should contact the HEIs directly for further information.


All HEIs must comply with the regulations on accreditation in chapter 6, sections 6-8 of the Higher Education Ordinance, and the Lisbon Convention.
HEIs have also agreed on a number of principles for accreditation. These have been compiled by Sveriges universitets- och högskoleförbund, SUHF, (Association of Swedish Higher Education Institutions) and stress the importance of enabling students to receive credit for prior studies.

Link to SUHF, (Association of Swedish Higher Education Institutions) (new window) »

Responses and appeals

HEIs are obliged to respond in writing to an application for credit recognition. Any decision may be appealed and information about how to appeal can be obtained from the HEI in question.
Last updated:
Contact: , Email: