Role of the Swedish Government and agencies
The Swedish Government has the overriding responsibility for higher education in Sweden and is responsible for:
- Granting degree awarding powers
- Granting university status
- Enacting legislation regulating the higher education sector
- Funding higher education courses and study programmes
- Funding a high proportion of research
- Appointing vice-chancellors of higher education institutions
- Regulating the agencies involved in the higher education sector.
Role of agenciesThere are a number of agencies involved in the higher education sector. Their responsibilities are described below:
Centrala studiestödsnämnden (Swedish National Board for Student Aid)
- Administering student finance.
Swedish National Board for Student Aid (new window) »
Högskolans Avskiljandenämnd (Suspensions Board for Higher Education)
- Dealing with the exclusion of students from higher education following complaints from vice-chancellors.
Suspensions Board for Higher Education (new window) »
Högskoleverket (Swedish National Agency for Higher Education)
- Reviewing the quality of higher education
- Ensuring higher education institutions (HEIs) comply with relevant legislation and regulations
- Monitoring trends and developments in higher education
- Providing information about higher education
- Recognising qualifications from abroad.
Internationella programkontoret (International Programme Office)
- Promoting participation in international collaboration.
International Programme Office (new window) »
Svenska institutet (Swedish Institute)
- Disseminating knowledge about Sweden abroad
- Organising international exchanges within the fields of culture, education and research
- Providing information about studying and living in Sweden at: studyinsweden.se.
Swedish Institute (new window) »
studyinsweden.se (new window) »
Verket för högskoleservice (Swedish Agency for Higher Education Services)
- Administering admission to study programmes on behalf of HEIs
- Providing HEIs with expertise about procurement.
Swedish Agency for Higher Education Services (new window) »
Vetenskapsrådet (Swedish Research Council)
- Promoting the development of basic research in Sweden to ensure its international standard
- Research funding, research policy issues and information about research.
Swedish Research Council (new window) »
Överklagandenämnden för högskolan (The Higher Education Appeals Board)
- Hearing appeals about decisions reached within the higher education sector and post-secondary education and training.
The Higher Education Appeals Board (new window) »
Överklagandenämnden för studiestöd (Student Aid Board of Appeals)
- Hearing appeals about decisions by the Swedish National Board for Student Aid.
Student Aid Board of Appeals (new window) »